Above photo by Gordon Ridgewell
Saffron Walden U3A has Open Meetings with a guest speaker on the 3rd Monday of the month (except August and December or unless otherwise advised). These are at 2.30 pm in the Bowls Club, Abbey Lane, Saffron Walden.
The Theatre and Travel Group has a range of trips to places of interest, and to theatres and concerts, with usually at least one per month. Holidays are also arranged for members. Details are included below, and on their group page. The group meets on the last Friday of the month at 2 pm in the Baptist Church Hall, to discuss and take bookings for future outings. Please note that we continue to meet on the last Friday of each month during June, July and August as well. Click on to Theatre and Travel on the Group page for contact details.
The Bird Watching group also has regular outings by shared cars to various sites on a regular basis – see the Bird Watching page.
The Mainly for Men’s group meets twice a term. Although topics chosen are primarily of interest to men, the meetings are open to all. Entrance £3. See Mainly for Men page for details.
From September 2017 Open Meetings now have a slightly different format to enable more socialising. The doors will open at 2.15 pm and tea/coffee and biscuits will be available at 2.30 pm BEFORE the Speaker starts. Every third Monday at the Bowls Club, except August and December.
- OPEN MEETING – Alan Wise – Health Psychologist – “Change your thoughts and you will change your world” on Mon 19 Feb 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — Vic Botterill. ‘Moments, memory and magic’ on Mon 19 Mar 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — Nick R Thomas – My life as a freelance comedy writer. on Mon 16 Apr 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — ‘Fools Gold’ – Husband and wife team. on Mon 21 May 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – Ian Keable – ‘George Cruikshank, the man who drew Oliver Twist’ on Mon 17 Sep 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — Mel Rees – ‘My family and other animals’ on Mon 15 Oct 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – Tricia Thompson – Subject tbc on Mon 19 Nov 2018 2:30 pm
Social and Other Events
Theatre and Travel
- OUTING – Steam Pumping Station, Power of Steam Museum on Wed 28 Feb 2018
- OUTING – Leeds Castle (in Kent) on Thu 22 Mar 2018
- THEATRE – LA TRAVIATA – Matinee – London Coliseum with ENO on Sun 8 Apr 2018
- CONCERT – Czech Symphony Orchestra -Theatre Royal Norwich on Sun 15 Apr 2018 7:30 pm
- THEATRE – Strictly Ballroom the Musical – Matinee – Piccadilly Theatre on Wed 2 May 2018
- OUTING – The Postal Museum – London on Thu 10 May 2018
- OUTING – Suffolk Coastal Tour on Thu 28 Jun 2018
- OUTING – Day at Bressingham on Thu 12 Jul 2018
- THEATRE – THE KING & I – Matinee – London Palladium. on Wed 18 Jul 2018
- OUTING – Brinton Hall and lunch on Fri 17 Aug 2018
- OUTING – Autumn Countryside Tour and Stamford on Thu 25 Oct 2018
- OUTING – Thursford on Thu 8 Nov 2018
- BIRDWATCHING – Paxton Pits, nr St Neots on Tue 27 Feb 2018
- BIRDWATCHING – Wicken Fen – date provisional on Fri 27 Apr 2018
- LUNCH CLUB – The Axe and Compasses, Arkesden on Wed 21 Mar 2018 12:30 pm
Mainly For Men
- MAINLY FOR MEN – ‘The story of the Bailey bridge’ – talk by Malcolm Darroch on Mon 5 Mar 2018 2:30 pm
- MAINLY FOR MEN – OUTING – Visit to the showroom and workshop of P&A Wood – Rolls-Royce and Bentley Dealers on Sat 10 Mar 2018 10:00 am
- MAINLY FOR MEN – Outing to Bletchley Park on Thu 17 May 2018
- MAINLY FOR MEN – a talk about Vikings by Mrs Sandy Leong on Mon 4 Jun 2018 2:30 pm
- HOLIDAY – LIVERPOOL to Incl. Terracotta Army Exhibition. on Mon 23 Apr 2018
- HOLIDAY in Devon on Mon 18 Jun 2018