Above photo by Gordon Ridgewell
Saffron Walden U3A has Open Meetings with a guest speaker on the 3rd Monday of the month (unless otherwise advised). These are at 2.30 pm in the Bowls Club, Abbey Lane, Saffron Walden.
The Theatre and Travel Group has a range of trips to places of interest, and to theatres and concerts, with usually at least one per month. Holidays are also arranged for members. Details are included below, and on their group page. The group meets on the last Friday of the month at 2 pm in the Baptist Church Hall, to discuss and take bookings for future outings. Please note that we continue to meet on the last Friday of each month during June, July and August as well. Click on to Theatre and Travel on the Group page for contact details.
The Bird Watching group also has regular outings by shared cars to various sites on a regular basis – see the Bird Watching page.
The Mainly for Men’s group meets twice a term. Although topics chosen are primarily of interest to men, the meetings are open to all. Entrance £3. See Mainly for Men page for details.
From September 2017 Open Meetings will have a slightly different format to enable more socialising. The doors will open at 2.15 pm and tea/coffee and biscuits will be available at 2.30 pm BEFORE the Speaker starts. Every third Monday at the Bowls Club.
- OPEN MEETING — Dr. John Walters — The English Spirit Distillery (with samples!) on Mon 16 Oct 2017 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — Katie Fay — Teaching in China and Cambodia on Mon 20 Nov 2017 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – Alan Wise – Health Psychologist – “Change your thoughts and you will change your world” on Mon 19 Feb 2018 2:30 pm
Social and Other Events
Theatre and Travel
- MUSICAL – ‘Crazy for You’ – Westcliffe Theatre on Tue 26 Sep 2017
- OUTING – Haunted Essex on Thu 12 Oct 2017
- OVERNIGHT BREAK – 4* Orchard Hotel, Nottingham on Sun 29 Oct 2017
- MUSIC – Last Night of the Autumn Proms – Westcliffe Theatre. Matinee 3pm on Sun 12 Nov 2017
- OUTING – Legal London – Inns of Court & guided tour of the Supreme Court on Tue 14 Nov 2017
- OUTING – Faversham Xmas Market – Xmas lunch – Canterbury Cathedral on Tue 5 Dec 2017
- OUTING – CHRISTMAS CONCERT – Matinee – Cadogan Hall with RPO on Sat 16 Dec 2017
- OUTING – IOLANTHE G&S, Matinee London Coliseum with ENO on Sat 24 Feb 2018
- OUTING – LA TRAVIATA – Matinee – London Coliseum with ENO on Sun 8 Apr 2018
- BIRDWATCHING – RyeMeads RSPB Reserve on Tue 26 Sep 2017
- BIRDWATCHING – Rainham Marshes RSPB Reserve. on Wed 25 Oct 2017
- BIRDWATCHING – Welney Wetland Centre on Tue 21 Nov 2017
Mainly For Men
- MAINLY FOR MEN – ‘200 Years of Milling’ – a talk by Mike Furlong on Mon 2 Oct 2017 2:30 pm
- MAINLY FOR MEN – Secret Nuclear Bunker Trip on Tue 10 Oct 2017 9:30 am
- MAINLY FOR MEN – ‘Lighthouses’ a talk by Mark Lewis on Mon 6 Nov 2017 2:30 pm
- MAINLY FOR MEN – ‘A Kick Up The 60s’ – a presentation by Alan Haines on Mon 5 Feb 2018 2:30 pm
- HOLIDAY in Harrogate on Mon 2 Oct 2017