Above photo by Gordon Ridgewell
Saffron Walden U3A has Open Meetings with a guest speaker on the 3rd Monday of the month (unless otherwise advised). These are at 2.30 pm in the Bowls Club, Abbey Lane, Saffron Walden.
The Theatre and Travel Group has a range of trips to places of interest, and to theatres and concerts, with usually at least one per month. Holidays are also arranged for members. Details are included below, and on their group page. The group meets on the last Friday of the month at 2 pm in the Baptist Church Hall, to discuss and take bookings for future outings. Please note that we continue to meet on the last Friday of each month during June, July and August as well. Click on to Theatre and Travel on the Group page for contact details.
The Bird Watching group also has regular outings by shared cars to various sites on a regular basis – see the Bird Watching page.
The Mainly for Men’s group meets twice a term. Although topics chosen are primarily of interest to men, the meetings are open to all. Entrance £3. See Mainly for Men page for details.
From September 2017 Open Meetings now have a slightly different format to enable more socialising. The doors will open at 2.15 pm and tea/coffee and biscuits will be available at 2.30 pm BEFORE the Speaker starts. Every third Monday at the Bowls Club.
- NO OPEN MEETING on Mon 18 Dec 2017
- OPEN MEETING – Film- Rural Life in Britain. on Mon 15 Jan 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – Alan Wise – Health Psychologist – “Change your thoughts and you will change your world” on Mon 19 Feb 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — Alan Wise – Health Psychologist. on Mon 19 Feb 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — Booking not confirmed as yet. on Mon 19 Mar 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — Nick R Thomas – My life as a freelance comedy writer. on Mon 16 Apr 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — ‘Fools Gold’ – Husband and wife team. on Mon 21 May 2018 2:30 pm
Social and Other Events
Theatre and Travel
- OUTING – Faversham Xmas Market – Xmas lunch – Canterbury Cathedral on Tue 5 Dec 2017
- OUTING – CHRISTMAS CONCERT – Matinee – Cadogan Hall with RPO on Sat 16 Dec 2017
- Russian State Ballet – Cinderella – Cliffs Pavilion on Sun 11 Feb 2018 2:00 pm
- THEATRE – IOLANTHE G&S, Matinee London Coliseum with ENO on Sat 24 Feb 2018
- OUTING – Leeds Castle (in Kent) on Thu 22 Mar 2018
- THEATRE – LA TRAVIATA – Matinee – London Coliseum with ENO on Sun 8 Apr 2018
- THEATRE – Strictly Ballroom the Musical – Matinee – Piccadilly Theatre on Wed 2 May 2018
- OUTING – The Postal Museum – London on Thu 10 May 2018
- THEATRE – THE KING & I – Matinee – London Palladium. on Wed 18 Jul 2018
- BIRDWATCHING – RSPB Fowlmere on Mon 11 Dec 2017
- BIRDWATCHING – Hanningfield Reservoir. on Mon 22 Jan 2018
- LUNCH CLUB – The White Hart, Wimbish on Thu 7 Dec 2017 12:30 pm
- LUNCH CLUB – Ananta Thai Food Pub, Wicken on Wed 17 Jan 2018 12:30 pm
- LUNCH CLUB – The Cricketers, Clavering on Tue 13 Feb 2018 12:30 pm
- LUNCH CLUB – The Axe and Compasses, Arkesden on Wed 21 Mar 2018 12:30 pm
Mainly For Men
- MAINLY FOR MEN – New Year Lunch – Coach and Horses Newport on Mon 8 Jan 2018 12:30 pm
- MAINLY FOR MEN – ‘A Kick Up The 60s’ – a presentation by Alan Haines on Mon 5 Feb 2018 2:30 pm
- MAINLY FOR MEN – ‘The story of the Bailey bridge’ – talk by Malcolm Darroch on Mon 5 Mar 2018 2:30 pm
- MAINLY FOR MEN – a talk about Vikings by Mrs Sandy Leong on Mon 4 Jun 2018 2:30 pm