Above photo by Gordon Ridgewell
Saffron Walden U3A has Open Meetings with a guest speaker on the 3rd Monday of the month (except August and December or unless otherwise advised). These are at 2.30 pm in the Bowls Club, Abbey Lane, Saffron Walden.
The Theatre and Travel Group has a range of trips to places of interest, and to theatres and concerts, with usually at least one per month. Holidays are also arranged for members. Details are included below, and on their group page. The group meets on the last Friday of the month at 2 pm in the Baptist Church Hall, to discuss and take bookings for future outings. Please note that we continue to meet on the last Friday of each month during June, July and August as well. Click on to Theatre and Travel on the Group page for contact details.
The Bird Watching group also has regular outings by shared cars to various sites on a regular basis – see the Bird Watching page.
The Mainly for Men’s group meets twice a term. Although topics chosen are primarily of interest to men, the meetings are open to all. Entrance £3. See Mainly for Men page for details.
Click on the blue links in each case to find out more.
From September 2017 Open Meetings now have a slightly different format to enable more socialising. The doors open at 2.15 pm and tea/coffee and biscuits will be available at 2.30 pm BEFORE the Speaker starts at about 2.45pm. Every third Monday at the Bowls Club, except August and December.
If you are a Saffron Walden resident and are unable to get to an Open Meeting because of a disability, please contact a Committee member.
Volunteers wanted to provide transport for members who are Saffron Walden residents and are unable to get to these Open Meetings Please email our Update editor at email@example.com
- OPEN MEETING — ‘Fools Gold’ – Husband and wife team. on Mon 21 May 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – John Banks – Saffron Walden & around, with U3A in focus. on Mon 18 Jun 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – Hexacordia: musical trio with images or 16th and 17th century music on Mon 16 Jul 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – Ian Keable – ‘George Cruikshank, the man who drew Oliver Twist’ on Mon 17 Sep 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING — Mel Rees – ‘My family and other animals’ on Mon 15 Oct 2018 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – Tricia Thompson – Subject tbc on Mon 19 Nov 2018 2:30 pm
Social and Other Events
Theatre and Travel
- THEATRE – Strictly Ballroom the Musical – Matinee – Piccadilly Theatre on Wed 2 May 2018
- OUTING – The Postal Museum – London on Thu 10 May 2018
- MUSICAL – Kiss me Kate – London Coliseum on Tue 26 Jun 2018 7:30 pm
- OUTING – Suffolk Coastal Tour on Thu 28 Jun 2018
- OUTING – Day at Bressingham – Steam and Gardens on Thu 12 Jul 2018
- THEATRE – THE KING & I – Matinee – London Palladium. on Wed 18 Jul 2018
- THEATRE – Musical – Noel Coward’s “Brief Encounter” – London on Wed 18 Jul 2018
- SUMMER THEATRE – “Double Double” (Thriller) – at Sheringham Little Theatre – Matinee on Tue 7 Aug 2018
- OUTING – Holt and Brinton Hall & Afternoon tea on Fri 17 Aug 2018
- OUTING – Walmer Castle on Thu 27 Sep 2018
- THEATRE – Dreamgirls – Matinee at Savoy Theatre on Wed 17 Oct 2018
- DANCE/MUSIC – Dance, Music Songs of the 60’s with Live Band – Matinee at Westcliffe Theatre. on Sun 21 Oct 2018
- OUTING – Autumn Countryside Tour and Stamford on Thu 25 Oct 2018
- OUTING – Thursford Christmas Extravaganza on Thu 8 Nov 2018
- BIRDWATCHING – Wicken Fen on Fri 27 Apr 2018
- BIRDWATCHING – Abberton Reservoir on Fri 25 May 2018
- BIRD WATCHING – Lakenheath Fen (RSPB) on Wed 27 Jun 2018
- BIRDWATCHING – Minsmere on Tue 17 Jul 2018
Mainly For Men
- MAINLY FOR MEN – Outing to Bletchley Park on Thu 17 May 2018
- MAINLY FOR MEN – ‘The Third World War, 1983 – a talk by Richard Gibbons. on Mon 4 Jun 2018 2:30 am
- MAINLY FOR MEN – ‘Life and Death In A Victorian Gaol’ – a talk by Mike Wabe. on Mon 2 Jul 2018 2:30 pm
- HOLIDAY – LIVERPOOL to Incl. Terracotta Army Exhibition. on Mon 23 Apr 2018
- HOLIDAY in Devon on Mon 18 Jun 2018