Above photo by Gordon Ridgewell
Saffron Walden U3A has Open Meetings with a guest speaker on the 3rd Monday of the month (except August and December or unless otherwise advised). These are at 2.30 pm in the Bowls Club, Abbey Lane, Saffron Walden.
The Theatre and Travel Group has a range of trips to places of interest, and to theatres and concerts, with usually at least one per month. Holidays are also arranged for members. Details are included below, and on their group page. The group meets on the last Friday of the month at 2 pm in the Baptist Church Hall, to discuss and take bookings for future outings. Please note that we continue to meet on the last Friday of each month during June, July and August as well. Click on to Theatre and Travel on the Group page for contact details.
The Bird Watching group also has regular outings by shared cars to various sites on a regular basis – see the Bird Watching page.
The Mainly for Men’s group meets twice a term. Although topics chosen are primarily of interest to men, the meetings are open to all. Entrance £3. See Mainly for Men page for details.
Click on the blue links in each case to find out more.
Every third Monday at the Bowls Club, except August and December. Tea/coffee and biscuits will be available at 2.30 pm before the speaker starts at about 2.45pm.
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Crop Circles’- talk by Andy Thomas on Mon 17 Feb 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Great Ormond Street Childrens Hospital’- on Mon 16 Mar 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Soil Sweat and Tears’- talk by Brian Carline on Mon 20 Apr 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘A Taste of Music Halls’- talk by Arthur Brooks on Mon 18 May 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘A Female in Fleet Street.’- talk by Deborah Brady on Mon 15 Jun 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Gainsborough’- talk by Emma Harper on Mon 20 Jul 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘South Africa, Highs and Lows’- talk by Pauline Short on Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘The Silk Road (Life in Uzbekistan)’- talk by Margaret Rogers on Mon 19 Oct 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘How to do Everything and be Happy’- talk by Peter Jones on Mon 16 Nov 2020 2:30 pm
Social and Other Events
Theatre and Travel
- CONCERT – Orchestral Valentine Concert – RPO – Cadogan Hall on Fri 14 Feb 2020
- OUTING – Hindu Temple in Neasden on Wed 19 Feb 2020
- THEATRE – ‘’The Croft’’ Thriller starring Gwen Taylor. Matinee – Palace Theatre Southend. on Thu 27 Feb 2020
- MUSICAL – The Prince of Egypt. Dominion Theatre. Matinee. on Thu 12 Mar 2020
- MUSICAL – Million Dollar Quartet – Southend on Wed 18 Mar 2020
- OUTING – Tower and Clink – London on Thu 26 Mar 2020
- OPERA – Madam Butterfly – ENO – London Coliseum on Mon 30 Mar 2020
- CONCERT – Great Choral Classics at the Royal Albert – Matinee on Sun 19 Apr 2020
- OUTING – Koyoto Japanese Gardens – London on Wed 22 Apr 2020
- OUTING – Cruise the Canals & Waterways of the Olympic Park. on Tue 5 May 2020
- OUTING – Sunday River Thames Carvery Lunch on Sun 19 Jul 2020
- OUTING – Mannington Hall, Norfolk. on Wed 5 Aug 2020
- OUTING – Denny Abbey, Cambridgeshire on Thu 3 Sep 2020
- OUTING – Autumn in Kent. Tunbridge Wells & Sissinghurst Castle. on Thu 29 Oct 2020
- OUTING – Covent Garden and tour of the Royal Opera House or.. on Thu 12 Nov 2020
Mainly For Men
- MAINLY FOR MEN – “Saffron Walden – then and now” – Malcolm White on Mon 3 Feb 2020 2:30 pm
- HOLIDAY – 7 days holiday in Southern Ireland. on Sat 13 Jun 2020
- HOLIDAY – Derbyshire – based in Nottingham on Mon 14 Sep 2020
- HOLIDAY – Turkey and Tinsel – Sandown IOW on Fri 20 Nov 2020