Saffron Walden Market Square before Remembrance Parade – photo by Diana Golding
Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 pandemic, we have closed classes and cancelled all events until further notice, please check with your co-ordinators. Get the latest National U3A advice and bulletins on the National U3A website – www.u3a.org.uk – 18 March 2020
Saffron Walden U3A has Open Meetings with a guest speaker on the 3rd Monday of the month (except August and December or unless otherwise advised). These are at 2.30 pm in the Bowls Club, Abbey Lane, Saffron Walden.
The Theatre and Travel Group has a range of trips to places of interest, and to theatres and concerts, with usually at least one per month. Holidays are also arranged for members. Details are included below, and on their group page. The group meets on the last Friday of the month at 2 pm in the Baptist Church Hall, to discuss and take bookings for future outings. Please note that we continue to meet on the last Friday of each month during June, July and August as well. Click on to Theatre and Travel on the Group page for contact details.
The Bird Watching group also has regular outings by shared cars to various sites on a regular basis – see the Bird Watching page.
The Mainly for Men’s group meets twice a term. Although topics chosen are primarily of interest to men, the meetings are open to all. Entrance £3. See Mainly for Men page for details.
Click on the blue links in each case to find out more.
Every third Monday at the Bowls Club, except August and December. Tea/coffee and biscuits will be available at 2.30 pm before the speaker starts at about 2.45pm.
Due to Coronavirus we have cancelled all Open Meetings until the end of July, and maybe more.
- OPEN MEETING – ‘South Africa, Highs and Lows’- talk by Pauline Short on Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘The Silk Road (Life in Uzbekistan)’- talk by Margaret Rogers on Mon 19 Oct 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘How to do Everything and be Happy’- talk by Peter Jones on Mon 16 Nov 2020 2:30 pm
Social and Other Events
Theatre and Travel
Due to the Government warning with regards to Coronavirus the Theatre & Travel Group would like to advise members that ALL Theatre trips and Outings are cancelled until further notice. All monies that have been paid for Theatre trips or Outings up to and including June, should be refunded in full but this could take time due to the volume of work the events are having to deal with. We are sure you understand this and will be patient.
With regards to the cancellation of the holiday to Ireland I am at the moment hoping to be able to transfer our deposit to the same week next year and, if possible, hope this meets with your approval. I will keep you informed.
Please also note the Theatre & Travel Meeting on the last Friday of each month is cancelled for the time being.
We ask that you all take care and look forward to seeing you as soon as is possible. We are still available if you wish to contact us
Chris Pauline/Jim & Jean.
18 March 2020
- CANCELLED – Great Choral Classics at the Royal Albert – Matinee on Sun 19 Apr 2020
- CANCELLED – Koyoto Japanese Gardens – London on Wed 22 Apr 2020
- CANCELLED – Cruise the Canals & Waterways of the Olympic Park. on Tue 5 May 2020
- CANCELLED – Hatfield House on Thu 25 Jun 2020
- OUTING – Sunday River Thames Carvery Lunch on Sun 19 Jul 2020
- OUTING – Mannington Hall, Norfolk. on Wed 5 Aug 2020
- OUTING – Denny Abbey, Cambridgeshire on Thu 3 Sep 2020
- Musical – Hello Dolly – Adelphi Theatre – Matinee on Wed 9 Sep 2020
- OUTING – Autumn in Kent. Tunbridge Wells & Sissinghurst Castle. on Thu 29 Oct 2020
- Musical – Pretty Woman – Piccadilly Theatre – Matinee on Wed 4 Nov 2020
- OUTING – Covent Garden and tour of the Royal Opera House or.. on Thu 12 Nov 2020
- Thursford Christmas Show on Fri 13 Nov 2020
- CANCELLED – 7 days holiday in Southern Ireland. on Sat 13 Jun 2020
- HOLIDAY – Derbyshire – based in Nottingham on Mon 14 Sep 2020
- HOLIDAY – Turkey and Tinsel – Sandown IOW on Fri 20 Nov 2020