Above photo by Gordon Ridgewell
Saffron Walden U3A has Open Meetings with a guest speaker on the 3rd Monday of the month (except August and December or unless otherwise advised). These are at 2.30 pm in the Bowls Club, Abbey Lane, Saffron Walden.
The Theatre and Travel Group has a range of trips to places of interest, and to theatres and concerts, with usually at least one per month. Holidays are also arranged for members. Details are included below, and on their group page. The group meets on the last Friday of the month at 2 pm in the Baptist Church Hall, to discuss and take bookings for future outings. Please note that we continue to meet on the last Friday of each month during June, July and August as well. Click on to Theatre and Travel on the Group page for contact details.
The Bird Watching group also has regular outings by shared cars to various sites on a regular basis – see the Bird Watching page.
The Mainly for Men’s group meets twice a term. Although topics chosen are primarily of interest to men, the meetings are open to all. Entrance £3. See Mainly for Men page for details.
Click on the blue links in each case to find out more.
Every third Monday at the Bowls Club, except August and December. Tea/coffee and biscuits will be available at 2.30 pm before the speaker starts at about 2.45pm.
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Home and Personal Security’ – talk by Derrick Giffin on Mon 16 Sep 2019 2:30 am
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Betrayed’ – talk by Peter and Leeroy Murray about their mother the Russian Spy on Mon 21 Oct 2019 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘The History of Chocolate’- talk by Tony Diamond on Mon 18 Nov 2019 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Life as a Stunt Woman’- talk by Lucy Allen on Mon 20 Jan 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Crop Circles’- talk by Andy Thomas on Mon 17 Feb 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Great Ormond Street Childrens Hospital’- on Mon 16 Mar 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Soil Sweat and Tears’- talk by Brian Carline on Mon 20 Apr 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘A Taste of Music Halls’- talk by Arthur Brooks on Mon 18 May 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘A Female in Fleet Street.’- talk by Deborah Brady on Mon 15 Jun 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘Gainsborough’- talk by Emma Harper on Mon 20 Jul 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘South Africa, Highs and Lows’- talk by Pauline Short on Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘The Silk Road (Life in Uzbekistan)’- talk by Margaret Rogers on Mon 19 Oct 2020 2:30 pm
- OPEN MEETING – ‘How to do Everything and be Happy’- talk by Peter Jones on Mon 16 Nov 2020 2:30 pm
Social and Other Events
Theatre and Travel
- OUTING – ‘Here Come the Boys’ – Westcliffe Theatre on Sun 28 Jul 2019
- OUTING – Hatfield House on Thu 15 Aug 2019
- OUTING – Hertfordshire Canal on Wed 4 Sep 2019
- BALLET – The Beauty of Tchaikovsky – Royal Albert Hall on Wed 2 Oct 2019
- OUTING – Steaming Through Kent on Sat 12 Oct 2019
- THEATRE – Crimes on the Coast – Matinee – Palace Theatre Southend. on Sat 2 Nov 2019
- OUTING – Lavenham on Fri 15 Nov 2019
- OUTING – London – Food Glorious Food on Thu 5 Dec 2019
- CHRISTMAS CONCERT – Royal Albert Hall on Wed 11 Dec 2019
- OPERA – Madam Butterfly – ENO – London Coliseum on Mon 30 Mar 2020
- CONCERT – Great Choral Classics at the Royal Albert – Matinee on Sun 19 Apr 2020
Mainly For Men
- HOLIDAY in Northumberland on Mon 16 Sep 2019
- HOLIDAY – Turkey and Tinsel Hotel Break on Fri 8 Nov 2019